In this project, your students will be given 3 challenges they must complete to show their knowledge and understanding if how a Makey Makey works and the difference between a conductor and insulator. This can be done individually or in partners.
NC Science Standards
4.P.1 Explain how various forces affect the motion of an object.
EX.4.P.1.2 Explain how electrically charged objects push or pull on other electrically charged objects and produce motion.
3-5-ETS1-1. Define a simple design problem reflecting a need or a want that includes specified criteria for success and constraints on materials, time, or cost.
3-5-ETS1-3. Plan and carry out fair tests in which variables are controlled and failure points are considered to identify aspects of a model or prototype that can be improved.
Electricity: is all about electrons moving. When electrons move something happens. This is because electrons carry energy places.
First, electrons are the parts of an atom that float around the center. Electrons have a negative charge. They are not as tightly bound to the atom as the stuff in the center – where the positive charge is - so electrons can move. Lastly, in order to understand electricity you must understand electric force: objects with opposite charges attract each other and objects with the same charge repel or push each other away. So electrons repel or push away other electrons.
If electrons can move easily through something we call that something a conductor. If it’s hard for electrons to move, we call that something an insulator. In insulators electrons pretty much just sit where they land and do not move.
1. Ability to define insulator
2. Ability to define conductor
3. Ability to identify objects that are insulators and conductors
4. Understanding how to complete a circuit using a Makey Makey
6. Practicing Patience
-Regular classroom items
1. Ensure you have enough Makey Makey's and computers for all pairs
2. Break students into pairs
3. Give every student the first challenge from the Beginner Challenges worksheet.
4. As they complete steps you must have them complete the step for you to show their success.
5. Have work through step 3 only.
Have student redefine conductor and insulator
Have the students talk about different every day things and break them into categories
Time Estimate: 45-60 minutes
All of it! These students really enjoyed the competition and worked very well together to be successful.