Students use an invention kit called, a Makey Makey! to design a new feature for their keyboard. Makey Makey's will allow students to turn everyday items into a keyboard.
K-2-ETS1-1. Ask questions, make observations, and gather information about a situation people want to change to define a simple problem that can be solved through the development of a new or improved object or tool.
K-2-ETS1-2. Develop a simple sketch, drawing, or physical model to illustrate how the shape of an object helps it function as needed to solve a given problem.
K-2-ETS1-3. Analyze data from tests of two objects designed to solve the same problem to compare the strengths and weaknesses of how each performs.
Engineers are curious, they want to know how things work the way they do, so they always start by asking lots of questions! Why does something work the way it does.
Engineering is a process that requires several steps but before anything can be made engineers are asking what is the problem is and how would we like to change it.
1. Define why and how you want your keyboard to work differently.
2. Students will have to ask questions, make observations and gather information to determine what works with the Makey Makey.
4. Practicing Patience
5. Practicing teamwork and problem-solving
-Makey Makey (1 per table)
-Laptop (1 per Makey Makey)
-Dixie cups with water (5)
-Anything else you can think of!
What is a Makey-Makey
Makey-Makey’s are devices that allow you to create a keyboard out of things you never thought could be a keyboard! Like a banana or a drawing. We will use Makey-Makey’s to invent new features for our keyboards.
1. Start by having students explore the Makey-Makey, have lots of items available for them to try with it from the material list.
2. Ask students while they are experimenting: How do you want your keyboard to work and why?
3. Give them time to just explore and test with their group members
1. Talk about what they used for their keyboard
2. What they like most about the Makey Makey
3. Why they think so items work and why some do not
Time Estimate: 35-45 minutes
What went well..
The students really enjoyed and took advantage of the free time given to explore and really tried to think about what they Makey Makey is doing and how it works.
What we would change..
Have at least 1 adult at every station that knows how to run it that is not the lead teacher.